General Questions

What is the Loma Linda University school code?

Loma Linda University's school code is 001218.

What is your mailing address?

Office of Financial Aid
Loma Linda University
11139 Anderson Street
Loma Linda, California 92350

Who is eligible for financial aid?

A financial aid eligible student:

  • Is not in default on a federal loan
  • Does not owe a refund on any federal or state grant program
  • Is a United States citizen or has a valid alien registration card
  • Is in good academic standing and is making satisfactory progress towards a degree
  • Has a clean credit record to obtain credit based loans, if needed
  • Is registered with the Selective Service if required by law to do so
  • Has a valid Social Security Number

How can I apply for financial aid?

The first step in the financial aid process is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). After submitting your FAFSA, additional information will be requested by the LLU Office of Financial Aid before your file is considered complete.

If you are a new student, a PIN will be mailed/emailed to you when the Office of Financial Aid receives either your FAFSA results (ISIR/SAR) or notification from the Admissions Office that you have been accepted into LLU.

Financial aid is "free money," such as grants and scholarships, which I do not have to pay back, right?

The term financial aid is a general term. It includes funding from federal, state and institutional sources that come in the form of grants and scholarships, as well as student loans. At LLU, students are considered for funding from all of the various aid sources for which they are eligible.

I don’t think I qualify for financial aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?

Yes. Many families mistakenly think they don't qualify and miss an opportunity to receive financial aid because they fail to apply. There are a few sources of aid such as Unsubsidized Stafford and PLUS Loans that are available regardless of need. The FAFSA form is free. There is no good excuse for not applying.

What is the difference between a grant, scholarship, and a loan?

A grant is a gift. It does not have to be repaid. A scholarship is an achievement award that is usually based on academic grades, abilities, skills, class rank, etc., and does not have to be repaid. Loans are funds borrowed by the student or parent. Loans must be repaid with interest over a determined amount of time.

What is the difference between a Federal and an Institutional Master Promissory Note (MPN)?

A Federal MPN, used for Federal Direct loans, is completed online and remains active for up 10 years, unless an endorser is used. An Institutional MPN, is a paper document that must be completed and submitted to the Office of Financial Aid each year.

Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for financial aid?

No. You can apply for financial aid any time after October 1. However, to receive a projected financial aid award you must be officially admitted to LLU.

Will my financial aid be automatically renewed next year?

No. Every student needs to reapply for aid every academic year.

Where can I get additional information about federal student financial aid?

Call the Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC) at 1 (800) 4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or 1-800-730-8913 (if hearing impaired).This toll-free hotline is run by the US Department of Education and can answer questions about federal and state student aid programs and applications. You can also visit the Federal Student Aid website for more information.

What is your institution's policy regarding parental information?

While parental information is not required for an Independent student, parental income and asset information must be included on the FAFSA in order to be considered for loans and other institutional aid administered through LLU. If requested, your parent’s US Federal Tax Return Transcript, or signed copy of their Federal Income Tax Return with applicable schedules, must be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid.

What happens if I receive aid from other resources, a corporation, parent's employment, religious organization, etc.?

The Office of Financial Aid will review any outside aid a student receives to determine if the total amount of aid received exceeds the student's budget. Adjustments to the student's financial aid award may be required.

What if I have other questions?

For general inquiries regarding financial aid:

Phone:  (909) 558-4509