Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) questions

Where can I get the FAFSA?

The FAFSA is available at This online application guides you through the process and assists you in providing the right responses. As a result, there are fewer errors and delays in processing your student aid.

Should I use IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)?

The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT), available on the web version of the FAFSA, allows students and parents to access and directly transfer the IRS tax return information needed to complete the FAFSA.

We highly recommend using the tool, if you are eligible, for several reasons:

  1. It's the easiest way to provide your tax data.
  2. It's the best way of ensuring that your FAFSA has accurate tax information.
  3. You won't need to provide a copy of your or your parents' tax returns to your college.

If you do not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to provide tax information and you are required to verify your or your parents' tax information, you may be required to obtain an official tax return transcript from the IRS.

My parents are separated or divorced. Which parent is responsible for filling out the FAFSA?

If your parents are separated or divorced, the custodial parent is responsible for filling out the FAFSA. The custodial parent is the parent with whom you lived the most during the past 12 months. Note that this is not necessarily the same as the parent who has legal custody. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, the parent who provided you with the most financial support should fill out the FAFSA. This is probably the parent who claimed you as a dependent on their tax return. If you have not received any support from either parent during the past 12 months, use the most recent calendar year for which you received some support from a parent or lived with either parent.

My parents are divorced, and the parent I’m living with has remarried. Does my stepparent have to report his or her income and assets on the FAFSA?

Yes, if you have a stepparent who is married to the legal parent whose information you’re reporting, you must provide information about that stepparent as well.

My SAR says that I have been selected for verification. What do I need to do?

If you are selected for verification, you will receive an email notice outlining the steps required to complete the verification process. Any required documents will be listed on your Student Portal under “Application Tracking Requirements”.

Follow the navigation below to view any financial aid requirements.

  1. Login to Student Services at
  2. Click "Financial Aid Menu"
  3. Click "Aid Application and Eligibility Menu"
  4. Click "Application Tracking Requirements"

My SAR is not accurate. How do I correct it?

Contact the Office of Financial Aid. Your advisor will be able to make most corrections electronically.