Federal Work-Study Questions

What is Federal Work-Study?

The Federal Work-Study program provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay educational expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study.

How do I apply for Federal Work-Study?

To be considered for Federal Work-Study at LLU, you must answer "yes" to the question on the FAFSA, “Are you interested in being considered for work-study?”. Since Work-Study is a need-based award, the information provided on your FAFSA will be used to determine your eligibility for participating in the LLU Federal Work-Study program.

You will then receive a letter from the Office of Financial Aid providing additional information and a LLU Work-Study application. Once the completed application is returned, you will become eligible for job placement.  If you did not answer yes to the FAFSA question, please contact the Financial Aid Office to see if you are eligible.

How much will I make?

Your Federal Work-Study wages will be at least the current federal minimum wage, but it may be higher, depending on the type of work you do and the skills required. Your total Federal Work-Study award depends on when you apply, your level of need, and the funding level of LLU.

How will I be paid?

LLU will pay you biweekly. You will be paid directly, unless you request that we make payments to your bank account, or use the money to pay for your institutional charges such as tuition, fees, room, and board.

Are Federal Work-Study jobs on campus or off campus?

The majority of Federal Work-Study jobs are on campus.

Can I work as many hours as I want?

No. The amount you earn can't exceed your total Federal Work-Study award. When assigning work hours, your employer or financial aid administrator will consider your class schedule and your academic progress.

Are Federal Work-Study earnings taxable?

The money you earn from Federal Work-Study is generally subject to federal and state income tax, but exempt from FICA taxes (provided you are enrolled full time and work less than half time).

Federal Work-Study earnings during the calendar year should be included in the totals for AGI, income earned from work and Student's Additional Financial Information on the FAFSA. Work-Study earnings should only be included in the answer when they represent financial aid to the student, since the answer to this question is used as an exclusion from taxed income. The student should also be careful to report amounts based on the calendar year, not the school year.

Can Federal Work Study be added to my aid if I’ve already been awarded?

Yes, Federal Work Study can be added to your aid after your initial award has been determined. Your eligibility would have to be verified and you would have to apply and be hired for a work study position.