Exit Counseling Questions

What is Exit Counseling?

Exit counseling is required by law. It provides important information you’ll need as you prepare to repay your federal student loan(s). You’ll learn how to understand and repay your loans, how to avoid default, and how to make your finances a priority.

Who has to complete Exit Counseling?

If you are a student who has received subsidized, unsubsidized, or PLUS loans under the Direct Loan Program you must complete exit counseling.

When do I go through Exit Counseling?

You must complete exit counseling when you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment.  In addition, if you enroll in a future term, and borrow additional federal aid, you will need to complete this requirement again.

How do I complete Exit Counseling?

To complete entrance counseling for both the Direct Loan Program and Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP), please sign on to the U.S. Department of Education’s Federal Student Aids website at https://studentaid.gov/exit-counseling/.  To log in, you will need an FSA ID Username and Password.  It should take about 30 minutes to complete the process.  You can view and print a PDF copy of the Direct Loan Exit Counseling Guide if you would like additional information.

What information should I have to complete Exit Counseling?

Information you should have on hand for exit counseling:

1. Outstanding balance(s) on your federal student loan(s):

This information can be found at https://studentaid.gov/.

For loans borrowed at Loma Linda University, you may access your personal debt profile and loan summary on your LLU student portal.

Click on the following links to navigate to your LLU debt profile. 

  • Financial Aid Menu
  • My Award Information Menu
  • Debt Profile

2. Names, addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers for

  • Your next of kin,
  • Two references who live in the United States, and
  • Your employer or future employer (if known).

I received an Exit Counseling notice, but I'm still enrolled. What do I do?

Federal regulations require that student loan borrowers complete an exit counseling session once they graduate, cease enrollment or drop below half-time.  You may have received an exit notice because you are enrolled less than half time or your expected graduation date is incorrect and needs to be updated with the Records Office.  If you plan to be enrolled at least half time for a future term, and borrow additional aid, you will need to complete this requirement again.