Loma Linda University is pleased to serve our military and veteran students. Those who are eligible for VA Education Benefits can find resources here.

Shopping Sheet

The Shopping Sheet provides prospective veteran benefit eligible students with basic information about financial aid eligibility.

Start Using Benefits

Transfer Military and Veteran Benefits to LLU

  • GI Bill® - Apply for benefits, or if you have previously used education benefits, submit a “Request for Change of Program or Place of Training” or a “Dependent’s Request for Change of Program or Place of Training” form found on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website. Please note, Loma Linda University is not a Yellow Ribbon institution.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation – Have your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor submit a Purchase Order to the Loma Linda University VA Certifying Official at veterans@llu.edu.
  • Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) – Submit scholarship award letters to the LLU Student Finance office at stfin@llu.edu. No documentation needs to be submitted to the VA Certifying Official unless using additional VA education benefits.

Documentation needed prior to receiving VA education benefits as an LLU student

  • Benefit information – Certificate of Eligibility or Purchase Order can be emailed to veterans@llu.edu.
  • VA Request to Use Benefits (one time) – A general form intended to instruct you on the basics of how benefits work at Loma Linda University. Only needs to be submitted once at the start of any program. The form can be found here and emailed to veterans@llu.edu.
  • VA Enrollment Request (each registration period) – This form allows the opportunity to choose how many units are reported to the VA. If desired, benefits are able to be conserved by reporting fewer units. The form can be found here and emailed to veterans@llu.edu.

Benefit Information

Degree plan and course requirements

Per VA policy, courses or units that do not apply to your program of education cannot be included in the enrollment report to the VA. Please work with your advisor when selecting courses and refer to your LLUonTrack Worksheet regularly. You can find your degree plan by logging in to your Student Portal at https://my.llu.edu/.

Initial enrollment report to the VA

After the VA Enrollment Request form is received by the VA Certifying Official, enrollment will be reported to the VA. This initial report will not include tuition and fees in an effort to allow students to make changes to their schedules without creating a debt to the VA in case of a drop in units.

Second enrollment report to the VA

After the last day to drop with a ‘W’ for standard term, a second enrollment report, called an amendment or an adjustment, is submitted by the VA Certifying Official and will include the cost of tuition and fees for those individuals who receive education benefits that cover those costs. Loma Linda University generally receives payment within 30 days of the enrollment report.

Stipend/BAH payments

Payments are made by the VA to the student after enrollment is reported to the VA and reflects the unit load of your schedule (full-time, half-time, etc.) according to VA guidelines. Any questions about stipends can be found on the GI Bill® Comparison Tool online, or by calling 888-442-4551 or your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor.

GI Bill® recipient’s responsibility to confirm enrollment

Non-chapter 33 verification of enrollment is through WAVE (instructions are provided in the benefit award letter). Students using Post-9/11 benefits can refer to this flyer, Enrollment Verification, for instructions.

Invoices for Chapter 31

For students receiving Vocational Rehabilitation benefits, an invoice will be sent by the VA Certifying Official to the VA, billing for tuition and fees, as well as books and supplies. Required textbooks and supplies charged with your student badge at the Campus Bookstore will be included on the invoice. The amount of coverage for supplies is pre-determined on the Purchase Order submitted to the VA Certifying Official by the Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor.

Competing aid

Certain types of Cal Grant and other scholarships or tuition waivers that are designated solely for tuition and fees will be removed from the cost of tuition before billing the VA in accordance with VA policy. For example, if tuition is $5,000 and the tuition waiver is $2,000, only the remaining $3,000 will be reported to the VA.

Late registration fees

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® does not cover late registration fees.


If you are still using VA benefits at the time your degree is awarded, the VA Certifying Official will send a “termination” notice to the VA stating you have graduated.