The Federal Work-Study program is a federally-funded employment program. Federal Work-Study provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student’s course of study.

Here’s a quick overview of Federal Work-Study:

  • It provides part-time employment while you are enrolled in school.
  • It is available to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students with demonstrated financial need and who reside in the state of California.
  • It is a need-based award, and is part of your financial aid package.
  • It is available to full-time or part-time students.
  • Funding is limited; apply early if you wish to be considered for FWS.

You will earn at least the current federal or state minimum wage, whichever is higher. Your pay rate will be set by the employing department and will depend on the type of work you do and the skills required for the position. If you are an undergraduate student, you will be paid by the hour. If you are a graduate or professional student, you may be paid hourly or salary, depending on the position and the work assigned to you. Students will be paid at least once a month. The student is paid directly through the payroll department, either by check or direct deposit into the student’s bank account.