About Valeri Filippov, PhD
I was engaged in several projects connected to HPV-mediated cancerogenesis. This body of work shed light on the role of alternative splicing as a cellular reaction on DNA damage by genotoxic agents and we also explored the importance of alternative splicing by comparing anti-tumor properties of interleukin-24 isoforms. I served as the primary investigator or co-investigator of these studies.
1. Filippov V, Filippova M and Duerksen-Hughes PJ (2007) The early response to DNA damage can lead to activation of alternative splicing activity resulting in CD44 splice pattern changes. Cancer Res 67:7621-30. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-07-0145
2. Filippov V, Schmidt EL, Filippova M and Duerksen-Hughes PJ (2008) Splicing and splice factor SRp55 participate in the response to DNA damage by changing isoform ratios of target genes. Gene 420:34-41. doi: 10.1016/j.gene.2008.05.008
3. Filippova M, Filippov V, Williams VM, Zhang K, Kokoza A, Bashkirova S and Duerksen-Hughes P (2014) Cellular levels of oxidative stress affect the response of cervical cancer cells to chemotherapeutic agents. Biomed Res Int 2014:574659. doi: 10.1155/2014/574659
4. Whitaker EL, Filippov V, Filippova M, Guerrero-Juarez CF and Duerksen-Hughes PJ (2011) Splice variants of mda-7/IL-24 differentially affect survival and induce apoptosis in U2OS cells. Cytokine 56:272-81. doi: 10.1016/j.cyto.2011.07.020
We also explored the role of ceramide, a lipid that can participate in signaling of several processes. I worked on a project that investigated the role of ceramide in regulation of apoptosis and neuropathology. We have developed very sensitive and advanced method of measuring ceramides in cells based on mass spectroscopy technology. Using this method, we have evaluated possible role of ceramides in Alzheimer’s and other neurological diseases.
1. Haynes TA, Duerksen-Hughes PJ, Filippova M, Filippov V and Zhang K (2008) C18 ceramide analysis in mammalian cells employing reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. Anal Biochem 378:80-6. doi: 10.1016/j.ab.2008.03.045
2. Haynes TA, Filippov V, Filippova M, Yang J, Zhang K and Duerksen-Hughes PJ (2012) DNA damage induces down-regulation of UDP-glucose ceramide glucosyltransferase, increases ceramide levels and triggers apoptosis in p53-deficient cancer cells. Biochim Biophys Acta 1821:943-53. doi: 10.1016/j.bbalip.2012.02.002
3. Filippov V, Song MA, Zhang K, Vinters HV, Tung S, Kirsch WM, Yang J and Duerksen-Hughes PJ (2012) Increased ceramide in brains with Alzheimer's and other neurodegenerative diseases. J Alzheimers Dis 29:537-47. doi: 10.3233/JAD-2011-1112
4In addition to the contributions described above, I and other collaborators have begun a new project designed to identify biological markers that are linked to health and longevity. Loma Linda belongs to a Blue Zone cluster, with a high concentration of centenarians. I participate in analysis of epidemiological and molecular biological data in order to identify the molecular basis of long and healthy life. This ongoing project has yielded very promising, but not yet published results.