- Great news for students admitted for the 2024-2025 academic year! You'll receive a $10,000 tuition waiver spread across your program. Individuals who qualify for Federal Work Study may be able to receive an additional $18,511 to put toward the cost of their education (payroll taxes apply). Check our Scholarships page for more funding options.
- Please see the bottom of this page for information about the cost of attendance.
The Master of Social Work (MSW) is a 78-unit program emphasizing the biopsychosocial-spiritual approach to advanced clinical social work practice in behavioral health institutions and agencies. Students gain expertise in cutting-edge and evidenced-based trauma- and resiliency-informed interventions that support prevention, early intervention, diagnosis and treatment of children, adolescents, and adults. Experiential learning through Loma Linda University's internationally recognized health system provides students with advanced learning opportunities in integrated behavioral health, tertiary level inpatient care, and global practice settings.
The MSW degree can be completed through the 2-, 3-, or 4- year curriculum options. Other program options include: a 3-year part-time online program and Advanced Standing options for recent Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) graduates.
2-, 3-, or 4- year curriculum options; 3-year part-time online program; advanced standing
Clinical Social Worker, Psychiatric Social Worker, Medical Social Worker, Child and Family Social Worker, Geriatric Social Worker, Hospice Social Worker, Forensic Mental Health Social Worker, Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Worker, Community Social Worker, Healthcare Administrator, Public Health Administrator, Research Social Worker, and Social Work Educator.
|Quarter||Application Open||Priority Deadline||Final Deadline|
|Summer of 2024||Aug 15, 2023||Nov 15, 2023||Jan 15, 2024|
|Autumn of 2024||Aug 15, 2023||Nov 15, 2023||Feb 15, 2024|
- Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above. Under certain circumstances applicants with lower GPAs will be considered.
- University application
- Personal statement
- Letters of recommendation (3)
- Official transcripts for all college credits
- Online students must commit to one full weekday of practicum each week for the duration of the MSW Program.
- Structured interview—by invitation
The MSW curriculum is built on a liberal arts perspective. Although there are no specific course prerequisites, individual applicants whose undergraduate degree does not reflect this perspective may be asked to enroll in additional courses.
The MSW program is fully accredited by the Council of Social Work Education (CSWE) to provide master's degree-level education, with the next reaffirmation to be completed in 2025.Loma Linda University is regionally accredited by the WSCUC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges [WASC] Senior College and University Commission).
The following estimated cost of attendance is based on full-time attendance for the number of months enrolled per academic year. Estimated amounts may vary based on a number of factors. Students may use these estimates when applying for financial aid.
Required Program Costs
Academic Year 2023-2024
|Year of Program
|Tuition & Fees||$39,435||$39,885|
Books, Materials, Supplies & Equipment Allowance
(May or may not be purchased through the school)
Other Educational Costs
Non-required costs that can be funded with scholarships/loans.
- Great news for students admitted for the 2024-2025 academic year! You'll receive a $10,000 tuition waiver spread across your program. Individuals who qualify for Federal Work Study can also get an extra $18,511 to put toward tuition (payroll taxes apply). Check our Scholarships page for more funding options.
- Most Social Work and Social Ecology students receive financial aid.
- Estimated amounts are for the academic year specified only. Amounts are based on full-time attendance for the number of months enrolled per academic year. International students need to calculate 12 months of living expenses based on these amounts.
- Amounts are expected to increase each year consistent with inflation in the professional education sector.
- To qualify for financial aid, most students must be enrolled at least half time in an aid eligible program and be taking degree requirements. Half time is 6 units in a quarter for undergraduate programs and 4 units in a quarter for graduate programs.