Alternative Program Name

Speech-Language Pathology, MS

Program Description

Speech-Language Pathologists work in a variety of settings, including schools, hospitals, and research. They typically evaluate and treat speech and language disorders in children and adults. The master’s degree is entry level for the profession. Speech-Language Pathologists evaluate and provide services to individuals who have problems in the following areas: articulation, language, stuttering, voice, hearing, cognitive aspects of communication, social aspects of communication, and swallowing, or who need to learn to use a communication modality other than speech. 

The Communication Sciences and Disorders Master program is a two year program that includes graduate coursework and clinical work that prepare students for professional practice. Clinical education is the strength of this program and the clinical settings range from hospitals to schools to private clinics.


Students enter the program as a cohort, and complete the Master of Science program in 7 quarters of full time attendance. There is no part time attendance.  Students who complete the program meet all requirements for: (1) beginning the Clinical Fellowship Experience for the Certificate of Clinical Competence from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association; (2) the preliminary Speech-Language Pathology Services credential for California public schools; and, (3) the temporary license granted by the California Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology and Hearing Aid Dealers Board.

Program Website  |  Catalog

Program Length

7 Quarters (2 years)

Possible Careers

Public and private schools, hospitals, rehabilitation centers, short-term and long-term nursing care facilities, community clinics, colleges and universities, private practice offices, state and local health departments, state and federal government agencies, home health agencies (home care), adult day care centers, centers for persons with developmental disabilities, research laboratories.

Application Deadlines

January 1

Admissions Requirements

For admission to the Master of Science program, the student must have the following:
  1. An undergraduate major in Speech-Language Pathology (also called Communication Disorders).
  2. All materials including the personal statement and letters of recommendation must be submitted by the due date.
  3. Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0., AND for last 96 quarter credits or 64 semester credits (your last 2 undergraduate years), minimum GPA of 3.3.


There are no specific prerequisites.  Please reference the Admissions Requirements.

Discipline Accrediting Agency

 This program is accredited by The Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language Hearing Association ( and the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. (

Integrating faith and health
Loma Linda University educates and encourages a balanced life by living our values of humility, compassion, justice, integrity, excellence, freedom and self- control. You will be surrounded by faculty who are committed to healthcare innovation and research while engaging your spirituality.

Expected Cost of Attendance

Academic Year 2023-2024

Year of Program: Year 1 Year 2
Tuition $26,996 $18,262
Fees $2,940 $3,920
Books & Supplies $1,000 $1,240
Misc (e.g., Boards, Licensing exam, Uniforms)
Total $30,936 $23,422


The cost of attendance varies from year to year.  Please contact the office of Student Finance for up-to-date costs.

Estimated Living Expenses

Academic Year 2023-2024, off campus, with a roommate

Year of Program: Year 1 Year 2
Months enrolled 9 12
Room & Board $15,885 $21,180
Transportation $3,150 $4,200
Personal Expenses $2,250 $3,000


  • Amounts are what a student can apply to borrow for the number of months shown in each academic year based on living off campus with a roommate and not with a relative.
  • International students need to calculate 12 months of living expenses based on the numbers listed here.
  • In general, to qualify for financial aid a student must be enrolled at least half time taking degree requirements. Half time is 6 units in a quarter for undergraduate programs and 4 units in a quarter for graduate programs.