The Doctor of Philosophy degree is designed to prepare students for careers in independent research, and teaching in a university, clinical, or biotechnology environment. Doctoral degree students are expected to develop creativity and independence in addition to technical skills.
By the end of the program, the graduate should be able to:
- Demonstrate a broad knowledge of the biomedical sciences;
- Demonstrate subject mastery in molecular, cellular, and integrative aspects of microbiology and immunity/inflammation;
- Interpret the current literature in microbiology and immunity/inflammation;
- Make original contributions to the body of biomedical knowledge;
- Exhibit the principles of scientific and professional ethics;
- Demonstrate the process of applying for external funding.
|Quarter||Application Open||Priority Deadline||Final Deadline|
|Autumn of 2025||Aug 1, 2024||Jan 1, 2025||May 1, 2025|
The following estimated cost of attendance is based on full-time attendance for the number of months enrolled per academic year. Estimated amounts may vary based on a number of factors. Students may use these estimates when applying for financial aid.
Required Program Costs
Academic Year 2023-2024
|Year of Program
|Tuition & Fees||$26,332||$17,429||$11,136||$14,732|
Books, Materials, Supplies & Equipment Allowance
(May or may not be purchased through the school)
Other Educational Costs
Non-required costs that can be funded with scholarships/loans.
- Estimated amounts are for the academic year specified only. Amounts are based on full-time attendance for the number of months enrolled per academic year. International students need to calculate 12 months of living expenses based on these amounts.
- Amounts are expected to increase each year consistent with inflation in the professional education sector.
- To qualify for financial aid, most students must be enrolled at least half time in an aid eligible program and be taking degree requirements. Half time is 6 units in a quarter for undergraduate programs and 4 units in a quarter for graduate programs.