There are two MS in Marital and Family Therapy programs offered at Loma Linda University—one campus-based and one online. Students learn and progress through the MS MFT program as an academic cohort. This allows for a rich learning experience where students are supported, share academic resources and knowledge to create an environment of success in the program.
The MS in Marital and Family Therapy program aligns with Loma Linda University's vision of transforming lives through whole person care. Our mission is to bring health, healing, wholeness, and hope to individuals, families, and communities through education, research, clinical training, and community service. The MS program accomplishes this by addressing relational needs and concerns of individuals and families over the life course in the contexts of communities and global society.
Both programs are fully COAMFTE (Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education) accredited. This is the national accreditation organization for marriage and family therapy programs throughout the United States. This accreditation ensures that students receive comprehensive academic and clinical training, and that they will be well-prepared to work with individuals, couples, families, children, and adolescents in diverse settings.
The Department of Counseling and Family Sciences offers a combined degree in Marital and Family Therapy (campus-based program only) with Counseling (MS/MS). This combined program also includes a Drug and Alcohol Counseling certificate.
Qualified graduates of the School of Behavioral Health are given priority interviewing for behavioral health positions with Loma Linda University Health.
|Quarter||Application Open||Priority Deadline||Final Deadline|
|Winter of 2024||Aug 26, 2023||—||Oct 27, 2023|
|Autumn of 2024||Aug 28, 2023||Feb 2, 2024||Jun 30, 2024|
Students are admitted in Autumn and Winter quarters in the campus-based program and in Autumn quarter in the online program. Applicants must have a bachelor's degree in any field from a regionally accredited institution. GREs are not required. Additional admission requirements include:
- Minimum grade-point average 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in bachelor's course work for at least the final 45 units prior to graduation
- Applicants must provide evidence of academic competence, professional comportment, and mature judgment.
- Individuals whose undergraduate degree is still in progress may be accepted pending satisfactory completion prior to beginning the master’s degree program.
- Applicants with an undergraduate degree offered in a language other than English must provide TOEFL scores in accordance with university policy.
- Health clearance
- A background check (required before matriculation to the program) Official transcripts on file
- Three letters of recommendation, as specified
- A personal statement (included in online application)
- Interview with department faculty as scheduled
The following estimated cost of attendance is based on full-time attendance for the number of months enrolled per academic year. Estimated amounts may vary based on a number of factors. Students may use these estimates when applying for financial aid.
Required Program Costs
Academic Year 2023-2024
|Year of Program
|Tuition & Fees||$43,830||$44,805|
Books, Materials, Supplies & Equipment Allowance
(May or may not be purchased through the school)
Other Educational Costs
Non-required costs that can be funded with scholarships/loans.
- Estimated amounts are for the academic year specified only. Amounts are based on full-time attendance for the number of months enrolled per academic year. International students need to calculate 12 months of living expenses based on these amounts.
- Amounts are expected to increase each year consistent with inflation in the professional education sector.
- To qualify for financial aid, most students must be enrolled at least half time in an aid eligible program and be taking degree requirements. Half time is 6 units in a quarter for undergraduate programs and 4 units in a quarter for graduate programs.