About Yuan F. Liu, MD
Dr. Yuan Liu is an Assistant Professor in Otology and Neurotology in the Loma Linda University Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. He grew up in Torrance, CA, and attended college at Harvard University, where he graduated with honors. He returned to CA to begin his medical training at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, and went on to complete residency in Otolaryngology (ENT) nearby at Loma Linda University Medical Center. With a keen interest in ear and hearing disorders, Dr. Liu decided to pursue further training and completed a 2-year fellowship in Otology and Neurotology at the Medical University of South Carolina.
Dr. Liu treats the whole spectrum of hearing and vestibular disorders. He has special interest in helping patients overcome CSF leaks, vestibular schwannomas (acoustic neuromas), skull base tumors, facial nerve disorders, otosclerosis, advanced cholesteatomas, eardrum perforations, and hearing loss (cochlear implants and bone-anchored hearing aids).
His research interests are broad, ranging from cochlear implant outcomes to Meniere's disease and vestibular migraine. He is currently collaborating with other institutions in developing new treatments for Meniere's disease.
Dr. Liu's philosophy is to treat every patient with the respect and care deserving of a family member, and to consider each patient as a whole even when caring for a small area of the body such as the ear.
Awards and Honors
2020 Research Award from the American Otological Society
2020 American Hearing Research Foundation Grant
2019 Scholarship from Institute for Cochlear Implant Training
2018 Chief Resident of the Year Award
2018 Research Award from the Department of Otolaryngology, Loma Linda University Medical Center
2017 Otology and Neurotology Education Committee Appointment, American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
2017 Dr. George Chonkich Resident of the Year Award
2017 In-Service Exam Award, Department of Otolaryngology, Loma Linda University Medical Center
2017 Resident Research Travel Award from the American Otological Society
2016 Resident Research Award from the Department of Otolaryngology, Loma Linda University Medical Center
2016 Travel Award from the Triological Society
2011 Community Service Award for the Mobile Clinic Project, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
2009-2010 Donald, Jason, and Stefan Wong Memorial Scholarship, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
2009-2013 California Regents Scholarship, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
2007 Harvard College Scholar
2007 Harvard College Research Program Grant
2006 Harvard College Research Program Grant
2005 National Merit Scholarship
- Liu YF, Macias D, Donaldson L, Dornhoffer JR. Factors associated with failure of pharmacotherapy and progression to botulinum toxin treatment in management of patients with vestibular migraine. J Laryngol Otol. doi: 10.1017/S002221512000095X.
- Mehta CH, Close MF, Dornhoffer JR, Liu YF, Nguyen SA, McRackan TR, Meyer TA. Vitamin D deficiency, hypocalcemia, and hearing loss in children. Otol Neurotol. 2020 Aug;41(7):940-947.
- Reddy P, Yan F, Liu YF. Hearing preservation in patients who undergo labyrinthectomy and translabyrinthine procedures. JAMA Otol. 2020 Jun 25. doi: 10.1001/jamaoto.2020.1292.
- Dornhoffer JR, Liu YF, Donaldson L, Rizk HG. Factors implicated in response to treatment/prognosis of vestibular migraine. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2020 May 24. doi: 10.1007/s00405-020-06061-0.
- Rizk HG, Liu YF, Strange CC, Van Ausdal CH, English RC, McRackan TR, Meyer TA. Predictive value of vestibular evoked myogenic potentials in the diagnosis of Meniere’s disease and vestibular migraine. Otol Neurotol. 2020 Jul;41(6):828-835.
- Liu YF, Gupta A, Nguyen SA, Lambert PR, Jung TK. Preferences in stapes surgery among American Otological Society otologists. World J Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2020 Feb 15;6(1):59-65.
- Lee JA, Liu YF, Nguyen SA, McRackan TR, Meyer TA, Rizk HG. Posterior semicircular canal dehiscence: case series and systematic review. Otol Neurotol. 2020 Apr;41(4):511-521.
- Close MF, Mehta CH, van Swol J, Dornhoffer JR, Liu YF, Nguyen SA, McRackan TR, Meyer TA. Effect of malnutrition on hearing loss in children. Otol Neurotol. 2020 Jan;41(1):52-59.
- Liu YF, Locklear TD, Sharon JD, Lacroix E, Nguyen SA, Rizk HG. Quantification of cognitive dysfunction in dizzy patients using the neuropsychological vertigo inventory. Otol Neurotol. 2019;40(7):e723-e731.
- Zhao EE, Liu YF, Oyer SL, Smith MT, McRackan TR, Chondrosarcoma arising in the mastoid involving the intratemporal facial nerve. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2019 Apr 1;145(4):392-393.